After the recent Ian Beer exploit was released, Abraham Masri was the first person involved in the jailbreak stage to tip his hat. Masri released Houdini Semi Jailbreak beta 3 with almost alarming speed and new firmware support for iOS 11.3.1. In the world of jailbreaking, Houdini is by no means new. It has for some time now provided the possibility for device owners to have access to certain features and functionalities, which would otherwise not be available on an Apple-supplied stock device for the iOS version.
It is worth reiterating that Houdini is by no means a complete jailbreak experience like Electra and it will not completely open up the device to install Cydia and other tweaks and packages requiring the use of substrates or substitutes on the device. However, it is a fun system that offers some great positive features. The release of Houdini beta 3–which can be downloaded immediately–does not only give support to iOS 11.2 by iOS 11.3.1. New support has also been included for Home and Lock screen widgets.
The iOS 11 control centre can now also be customized and system updates can be deactivated if necessary. The complete Houdini BetA 3 changes log is as follows:-Support for iOS 11.2 to 11.3.1 (thanks to Ian Beer)–Home and lock screen widgets (temporarily disabled) –Added iOS Control Center Customization Passcode in iOS 11 (including features)-Re-enabled themes iniOS 11 (partly works). Custom icons added – iOS Control Center Customization – System updates can be disabled – Houdini (Stock iOS) removal option – Faster startup time – UI changes and bug reparation – Cleaner code basis.
Houdini will never scratch the itch of people who want to experience full jailbreak, including Cydia and all related features such as full read / write access, the installation of your favorite tweaks and packs. However, this release can be a big stopover to entertain those who are waiting for CoolStar to do all it has to do to get Electra ready with the exploit that now is out and an Electra upgrade on the horizon.
Which devices is Houdini 11 compatible with?
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 6/iPhone 6 plus
- iPhone 6s/6s plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 7/7 plus
- iPhone 8/8 plus
- iPhone X
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Pro
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPod touch 6
- A compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- iOS 11-11.1.2 firmware
- A computer running Windows, Linus, or macOS
How to install Houdin i11 on iOS 11-11.1.2/11.3.1 firmware
- Step 1 Use the above link to download the Houdini 11 beta 2 IPA file.
- Step 2 Connect your device and launch Cydia Impactor to your computer. Wait until your device is recognized.
- Step 3 Lock the IPA file to the Impactor Window by dragging it over.
- Step 4 Key to the details of your Apple ID.
- Step 5 Wait for the IPA to sideload to Apple. When it’s done, your home screen will display the app.
- Step 6 Go to Settings> General > Profiles & Device Management and check your Email address for the Houdini app.
- Step 7 Open the home screen application. Now you can perform various actions like resprinting and cleaning your device and customize it.
Themes do not work right now, then be sure you don’t put them into practice. However, in future versions, the developer will certainly add theme support to iOS 11. You can also use package installers like Tutuapp and Appvalley to install this. You must use jailsbreak tools from trusted sources. I do not recommend this because they are adding ads in all of their applications.