Jailbreaking in terms of iOS is privilege escalation for the purpose of removing software restrictions imposed by Apple on its devices such as iPhones or iPads. It typically does this by using a series of kernel patches. Jailbreaking permits root access to iOS, allowing the installation of the software that is unavailable through the official Apple App Store.
Although the company publicly disapproves of jailbreaking, stating that it can device’s instability. This has led to Apple implementing hardware and software fixes to the vulnerabilities used in jailbreaking, meaning that many versions of iOS are not jailbroken immediately.
So, if you don’t want to jailbreak your iOS device and want to install .deb files there is a simple process that you can go through to do this. Unlike what many people think that these types of files can’t be installed on the non-jailbroken devices, well it can be done and as stated follow simple steps and you can use the files proving them wrong.
First of all, you will need a computer and a developer account in order to install .deb files without jailbreaking your iOS devices. If you do not have the developer account you can simply purchase UDID registrations through numerous websites or can ask your friends for their credentials.
Steps to install .deb files on iOS devices
- The first step in this process involves Xcode and bringing up the “Organiser”. After you have done this you should see your iOS devices which can iPhones or an iPad in iTunes. This process is for all the devices running on iOS 7 and above.
- You then click the “use for development” box at the bottom of the iTunes screen.
- Your provisioning profiles will be installed after a few seconds and you will be ready to move on to the next step in this process.(you can verify it in your devices following these steps: Settings>General). If can’t verify provisioning profiles in your devices follow these extra steps.
- Open apple developer center on your safari browser and sign in.
- When logged in go to iOS developer Program>certificates, identifiers, and profiles> provisioning profiles>iOS team Provisioning profile and then click the download button.
- After downloading, the files go to download folder and drag the file to the provisioning profiles sub-section from your device(where you want to install the .deb files)
If all went well then you will be able to see provisioning profiles “status:valid profile”
- You will then need to find the .deb files for the free app you want and save on your desktop. You can drag the .deb files into instaSign and it will create the .ipa files. Note to remember that if you using windows instead of MAC you can use iFunBox instead of InstaSign.
- Next, you want to install the app by directly clicking on the .ipa file, which should boot up on your iOS device.
Note: this method of installing the .deb and .ipa files without jailbreaking on any iOS device using Xcode should be used only for research and educational purpose only.
As stated earlier that these steps must be followed for the research purposes also jailbreaking your device has its own sets of demerits. I want to conclude by saying that these steps will definitely help you all but your purposes to do it should be good and clean and also helpful.
With jailbreaking the device you will not be able to get proper apple security patches that the company releases monthly, you will also be vulnerable to be exposed any kind of virus threat on your device.