Icy Installer is a package manager based on DPKG designed for iOS devices. It was originally developed for iOS 2.0. After a long gap of eight years, it has made a re-entry with the release of its new version 3.0. This new release has been completely re-written and is now compatible with iOS 11 compared to its earlier versions which supported the much older iOS 7 jailbroken devices.
A striking feature of Icy Installer 3 is its loading speed. It is lighter and much faster than Cydia. The major features of Icy Installer 3.0 are as follows:
- The launching speed is fast.
- Version 3.2 allows the addition of third-party sources to the installer. With good internet speeds, loading of packages takes place quickly.
- It supports Dark Mode, Portrait and Landscape orientation for iOS devices running iOS 7 to 11.
- Fabulous Graphical User Interface with a great design.
Support for Rootless Jailbreak
Icy Installer 3.0 supports Rootless jailbreak. Hence users who are new to rootless jailbreak can install the tweaks on iOS devices without altering the root files. Since Icy does not use APTs to install packages.it will continue to work even if the APT breaks.
Icy Installer 3.2 is compatible with iPhone and iPad devices running iOS versions 7, 8, 9, 10 and11. Additionally, It supports version 12 for jailbroken devices only. It supports all the iterations of these firmwares. The first version V 3.0 is not compatible with 32-bit devices, but the latest perversion 3.2 works well with32 and 64-bit devices.
Download and Install Icy Installer 3 on iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch
It is important to ensure that the compatible firmware is in place before installing Icy.
The following steps have to be followed to achieve the installation.
- The first step is to launch Cydia.
- Thereafter, navigate to Sources and click on Edit -> Add.
- Add the Cydia source artikushg.github.io.
- Add the URL of Artikus’ Cydia repository – artikushg.yourepo.com.
- Search for Icy on the search bar and start the installation.
- When the installation is complete, the Icy icon appears on the home screen. Tap on it to launch the application.
Identified Issues with Icy Installer 3.0
- On a few occasions, there may be instances of the device crashing during the launch of Icy.
- Issues with respect to the resolution exist with the latest iOS devices of iPhone 8 and iPhone X.
The latest version of Icy Installer, version 3.2, supports the addition of third-party Cydia sources.
It is believed that Icy is working on the rootless jailbreak concept to enable tweaked and cracked applications to be installed without any modifications to the root file system.
The application is known to crash frequently on Electra jailbreak (iOS 11-11.1.2) firmware. However, the work towards fixing this issue is currently underway. The team is working on a series of patches to fix the existing bugs. A new version with the following additions is expected to be released in the near future.
- A new improved Graphical User Interface
- Addition of support for 32-bit Apple devices.
- Adding of support for third-party Cydia repositories.
For new users who are keen to try the new Icy Installer, they need to add repo.ispazio.net to the Cydia sources and search for it. This new jailbroken application installer has already crossed 15,000 downloads. There are concrete plans to offer Icy as an install option in future jailbreak software (like RedSn0w and PwnageTool).
It is evident that the latest release of Icy Installer – version 3.2, is currently the best alternative to Cydia. With a slew of new patches and releases in the offing, Icy is expected to take its stand as the de-facto standard, eclipsing Cydia.
Since Cydia and Rock collaborated, there has not been any competition in the jailbroken application store industry. After a long gap, Icy has returned with this fresh new initiative. If it continues to perform as well as this current version, Icy could certainly give Cydia some tough competition. The entire Icy application is lighter, quicker and has a much better and user-friendly interface. With its uncluttered interface as compared to the jumble in Cydia, Icy has scored a significant win over Cydia.